Sunday, July 17, 2011
Scratching the itch
Recently, I told my husband I wanted to resurrect my blog, for what I estimate is the fourth time.
“What for?” he questioned. “I thought you said you didn’t like other people knowing your business.”
I hesitated. “Well, I didn’t. But that was before.”
“Before what?”
“Y’know, just… before. When I was all stressed out trying to finish the semester and plan our wedding and move and all that jazz. I liked complaining, but who wants to read that?” I knew I was reasoning with myself more than I was really reasoning with him. “We’re happily married now. And sometimes we go places other than work. And we bought that expensive camera. That’s all a blog really requires these days. Bloggers like to think they are professional photographers, and I did take a photography class once, so mine will probably be even better.”
I continued on, describing in great detail the need for practically Pulitzer-worthy shots. A panoramic view of our new sofa. The warm, inviting scenes at the dinner table. A heart-stirring image of the niece blowing out her birthday candles. Yes, this was all profound and essential blog imagery. These followed up with some clever remarks, and the internet itself would practically explode with delight.
“Oh yeah?” Unconvinced. Or distracted by a baseball game; I couldn’t tell which.
“Sure. It’ll be easy. We just write stuff like: ‘Today we went to the farmer’s market and bought this crazy big cantaloupe… here is a picture of one of us eating the cantaloupe… and here is a recipe for something made out of cantaloupe.’ And everyone will think it is the most breathtaking photo ever taken of a cantaloupe slice. And they'd think I knew how to cook all this inventive stuff, even though I would have just Googled the recipe. It would be an easy way to keep our friends and families updated on our lives.” I was starting to sweat. I ended my speech with the nervous confidence of a well-researched thesis defense.
“Okay, whatever you want. I probably won’t write in it. Dang, why are we losing to the Nationals?” And with that abrupt subject change, I knew what I had to do.
I had to write. I have to get the words out of my head.
Whether or not anyone reads it, well, that isn’t really the point.
And just like that, we forge ahead on a new adventure. Won't you join us?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love this post. I can picture this conversation so easily :)
ReplyDeleteWill totally hold you accountable because I really do love your blog